View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Well, this happens to me a lot. I think about something, and make a judgement, and regard it as something we used to call "common sense" en someone with a doctorate or some letters after their name write a paper, or a book, or gets a tour of chat shows announcing the same concept as their magnificent discovery.

Hmph!

Of course, everything that that fancy pants trick cyclists says is quite valid , but, to me at least, common sense.

However, as I started listening to music as the 1950s emerged, I will add something to this.

"Popular" music of the '30s was more complex and structured than in the '40s, and the '40s were more complex that the music of the '50s ..and so the simplification of, shall we say, "top twenty" music has become increasingly formulaic and focussed on the basics that people can be persuaded to listen to and buy.

Way back when I was a drummer, I realised that I could get a dance hall dancing by just hitting out a drum riff and rhythm - didn't actually need the singer, lead, rhythm or bass player at all.

My theory is that the large majority of the population understand very little to nothing about music, and will simply respond to a regular beat.

It's essentially tribal.
Pop music now is essentially a digitised beat track (usually 16 or 32 bar sequence, and somebody shouting or talking in an approximation of the beat.

There are, of course exceptional musicians and wonderful music emerging ... it just doesn't get taken up by the big labels/distributors so it doesn't sell to the great unwashed like a processed boy band with a dance routine and a repeated shout or "rap" line.

and ...