View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
This may sound silly to you but I'd be interested in know how you did this. My guess is just cold turkey, don't look at it kind of stuff but that's easier said than done. For instance, I'm going to be spending some time traveling for work and while I won't turn on my room tv, there will be some news channel on in the lobby, the breakfast nook, the airport, etc. I suppose I should avert my eyes each time but I usually get interested.
Not silly at all. I am retired now, but when I was working, I was a news junkie for business and personal reasons. I spent many hours traveling, both by automobile and planes and obviously being in hotels. The media is everywhere in those circumstances so it’s tough even if you wish to abstain.
Now that I am retired, it is much easier to ignore all of that claptrap…and I do.

Now then, my viewpoint and practices are looked upon in disdain by many. I’m considered selfish and irresponsible ostrich with my head in the sand. Well, it’s my life and my choice and those opinions have no effect on me. That’s pretty healthy IMHO.
Staying away from the 24/7 droning of the “news media” has proven to affect nothing negative for me. Notice the word “affect”.
I finally realized that there wasn’t one single thing I could do about all the things that were happening in the world other than those events in my immediate circle, so bye-bye CNN, Fox, CBS, MSNBC, PBS…all of you
What a light-bulb moment!

As far as your situation, maybe you could start by tapering back your intake.
When you retire, you will be in a better position to cease entirely if you wish. Don’t worry, whether you like it or not, everyone around you will keep you posted…trust me. That has proven more than sufficient for me.
Good luck, I hope you can wean yourself away if that’s what you wish.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-04-2022 at 04:46 PM.