View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don’t recall seeing people reading a newspaper while driving to work, walking across the street at a busy intersection, or while eating dinner out with family or friends.
Just sayin’
That was surprisingly common in the now decades ago time when I drove trucks and school bus. I still stop at same truck stop and motor oasis on Interstate's 90 and 94 as I did then. What I see caused me to wonder if we'd be better off if the truck drivers had their noses at newspapers as was the case then. Few of them had all the to me toxic stuff I see their noses aimed at now as my example. Same thing was and is seen in the break rooms where I work.

To be fair, I saw a lot more of the newspaper reading in those days at particular times and locations. More in the morning, and more where I did deliveries or later did IT related trips to downtown Chicago and business trips to San Francisco.

I'm totally with the matters of distraction and quality of content some take in as problems, but anger at smartphones is tilting windmills. They are primary communications, media, news, finance, commerce and organizing devices for almost 7 billion people.

Technology and automations will be the solutions to these current problems. It is started. The 2013 new car fleet mandated hands free and by coincidence was about same time for the first AEB systems. This year all cars have AEB but lots of them have added it in the past 5 or so years. Distraction mitigation systems are growing in the market, and my guess is Subaru will again force competition for safety because they have delivered at good price points.