View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Hi CalicoSkies,

Reviving a thread from 2020, there are other discussions of the X7 vs X10 here on the forum. That said, I'll give you my impressions, owning one of each. In fact, the "Facebook Memory" this morning was from 2018, the arrival of the custom X10 I ordered after this model was newly offered again at the time.

My X7 is a previous generation, but everything I read about that vs the current gen X7 leads me to believe the sound/tone is very similar. To my ear, the X7 has a louder, deeper tone than the X10. I would consider my X7 to be "punchy" and the X10 to have a more balanced tone across each of the strings. The current X7 and X10 are pretty close in size. At the time I ordered the X10, Alistair told me: if you are more interested in the acoustic tone, get the X7; if you want more plugged in options, get the X10." I ordered the X10 with a custom shorter scale (24.6")

I notice the difference in nut width - 1 3/4" on the X7, 1 11/16" on the X10. The X10 neck profile seems to be a bit thinner, more in line with its design as an electric acoustic.

Putting a decibel meter on them, the X7 and X10 are pretty close in acoustic volume. It doesn't sound that way to my ears - the X7 seems louder. It may be the difference in the adjustable saddles on the X10 vs the more typical saddle on the X7; plus, the X10 has more "stuff" inside (electronics), and the Krivo humbucker pickup on the top on the X10.

Both sound great plugged in. The X7 sounds like a bigger acoustic than it is. The X10 has more plugged in options thanks to the electronics (mine has the level 2 pickups).

If your hands are smaller, you may appreciate the 1 11/16" nut width on the X10. When I ordered mine, getting a shorter scale was a custom option, but I think you can pick different scale lengths on Emerald's 3D builder on their site (for an up-charge).

Hope that helps. Good luck with the decisions. Plenty of good information on this forum.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 10-09-2022 at 11:16 AM.