View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I'm still struggling to see how that would be beneficial?

It seems to me that even a guitar that has a weird twist to it if you just use a 6in flat file and make sure that the frets right in front of the frets in front of the frets are the same level then that's as good as it gets. IOW who cares about the fret that is 5 frets away from the one you are dressing? If the first fret is just a hair higher then the 7th it doesn't matter but if the 8th is a hair higher then the 7th it does, and on down the bard. For any given fret it's the one right in front of it, maybe 2 in front of it, that are going to cause buzz. Just make sure they are even and... No problem. Back buzz is a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I strive to make sure all the frets are the same height but I just cannot wrap my head around this tool as giving any advantage.

That's why I like to resurface the FB during refrets. With a leveling beam you get the fretboard perfect and then after the frets are in level again and it's perfect.
Well, there are instances where a refret and/or resurface is not practical, possible, or can further damage the value of an otherwise original instrument. You can play a neck with a tiny twist, and necks have been made with over a 10 degree twist...