View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 02:37 PM

I think it is pretty clear from my reading all of the posts here that most of those commenting have not heard enough of the live recordings of the Dead to really make a good judgement. I felt pretty much exactly the same way before I found enough recordings to listen to and get a good representation of what they were about. I think they were masters as musical improvisation as represented even as early as 1968-70. They really jammed hard. When I hear those recordings, it takes me to a time before me. It puts me in a place and time of magical musical history. You can hear similar things with other bands of that period if you are lucky enough to be able to listen to LIVE recordings of shows. Studio records don't mean CRAP. The best bands are at their best live, and when they are good, they can be transcendent.

I came from a VERY solid jazz background. I collected a lot and I saw a lot of jazz musicians even though I didn't even start listening to jazz until the 70s. I missed many decades of music and was determined to catch up. I never though of the Dead as jazz in any way, but I am able to put the Dead into the context of history and appreciate what they did very well. I never really preferred the first set songs but their jam songs can take you places. I am not sure some people are able to get there. I don't know if their minds are set up for it. I see this when I go to jazz shows. I don't think most of the people that go really get it. I will notice a few in the audience that really feel it, but most of the show-goers are clueless.

The most important thing I have found with music is that YOU HAVE TO GO TO SEE IT LIVE. It is the only way to build the appreciation and context. I have listened to albums of some musicians and not really gotten it until I saw them perform live. I can't explain it, but it is what it is.

This year I have put much more emphasis on seeing live music. It takes a little effort and it's easy to just not bother, but when you do go, you almost never regret it. Most of the time, it ends up being the highlight of the month, or week or whatever. All you old people (present company included) need to get out of the house and remind yourself how much fun it is to see live performance. These bands and venues need your support a lot more than broadcast TV and pop radio and hollywood.

You don't "get" the Dead, fine. Go "get" something else.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520