View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM

And last but not least- I had the chance to attend a class in the spring on the use of a rose engine. Specifically, in the art of guilloche. If you are not familiar with this then by all means there is a youtube rabbit hole waiting for you

The rose engine is a hand powered machine that can somewhat be though of as the child of a lathe and a spirograph- Most of the best examples were built at the turn of last century and are extremely old by now. I was able to travel to the Pacific NW and use a few pristine examples of the older machines as well as an amazing newer one made by Lindow machine works in PA.

I've been curious about these tools for years and they are difficult to get technical information on. Even more difficult to see in person. The decorative patterns they can produce are most often associated with fine watches and that is still what most people use them for. I, of course, want to use them on my guitars- The backplates I have been making are a perfect surface to utilize this wonderful process and I am working hard now on designing and making a machine I can use to incorporate this into my work. I think it will be wonderful for backplates but also tuning machines. It won't be happening soon, but I am hoping I can begin to explore using this for guitars sometime in 2019.

Here is a picture of one of the machines as well as a small dial I did at the class. Again, all hand power. This one is engraved into nickel silver.

WEB--rose-engine-whole by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--guilloche-shot by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram