View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:31 AM

And last, a Cuban mahogany and Red spruce model CL. This one is a second guitar of mine for a wonderful guy from Germany. The hope is that it will be a good complement to his Lutz/Mahog CLM. The Red spruce is a monster piece of wood, I can't wait to hear it open up.

I've used Cuban Mahogany many times and have loved it every time. This is the only set I have had that is similar to the great sets that went around years ago- many sold by Brad Goodman I think. The depth and color in it are going to be phenomenal- I can't wait to see it pop!

I stretched myself on this rosette too. It looks pretty simple but I can't stress how much work went into getting it just right. I love the idea of small areas of complexity and detail on the guitar. And making my own herringbones has been a way for me to explore that. I've been wanting to go a bit deeper though and my idea was to stretch out the pattern- make it "grow" as it moves around the rosette. While, of course, keeping the points matched up. This to me is the sign of a handcrafted detail- even the old Martin herringbones don't maintain their pattern around the instrument.

It took so much longer than I expected. I fully made the glue ups three times before I got one in the guitar that I was happy with. I'm sure it doesn't translate as that- I think most people will look at it and not even notice that it shifts. But, it does, and for the few who understand what went into it I hope I get a little tip of the hat I'm into it. Anytime I can reward deeper scrutiny of a detail I am happy.

Anyway- here it is:

WEB--mahog-back-plate by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CL-rosette-second by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

WEB--CL-rosette-close by Burton LeGeyt, on Flickr

Facebook
Instagram