View Single Post
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 PM

Smile Looking At Two Mahogany 6 Strings

I am looking to get a new 6 string. I love the warm tones of my Ibanez AC240E-OPN but I have it setup in a Nashville tuning and want to keep that way. That leaves me desiring a mahogany for songwriting, so that's what I'm going with. I pretty much have it narrowed down to these two. I am a little frustrated at Breedlove even though I love their guitars (my 12-string is beautiful). They describe this one I am considering as a mahogany everywhere on their website but noticing the odd spec of being a solid top mahogany (sapele). I emailed them and after their response to my request for clarification and them saying they are the same thing, I called them and I ask them directly. Is this a sapele guitar and she said yes. Sapele is a tighter grain wood that produces a higher tone. Some people say they are the same but I have both and they are different. ANYWAY... what irritates me is if it is a sapele guitar, why are they saying all over their website that it's a mahogany except in one place where they mention sapele. Clearly they see a difference or they wouldn't use both terms. I don't know. Just bugs me . I have listed them both with company recordings of each. Which do you like? The Breedlove Pursuit Concert Mahogany or the Ibanez AE245 Mahogany?

Takamine G Series EG522C Classical
Seagull Entourage Black CW GT QI
Ibanez AC240E-OPN
Morgan Monroe MMS-5 Mandolin
Dean EABC Acoustic Electric Bass

Last edited by ryevick; 07-31-2017 at 11:02 PM.