View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 10:05 AM

Thanks chaps.

I realise I have been a little vague. I understand time signatures and note values and sub divisions. So I could write a rhythm on a score in logic and follow that and play it in time to the metronome or drummer beat in chords.

What I struggle with is when I'm improvising lead/melody lines, the rhythmic element goes of the window. I kind of go into free form if you like. I can still play to the beat, it just that my concept of where I am in the piece/bar/section disappears.

It's like trying to pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time.

What I think I'll do is to play very simple lines comprising of single triads initially then gradually increase to complexity of the rhythm. See how that goes.

I can tap my foot when I play rhythm, but when I do single line stuff, my foot will often follow the rhythm of the line.

I can't think of a melody in my head and play it. I could play a rhythm though that I heard in my head.

Another rambling post, I hope that makes it easier to understand.

I'm on a lot of epilepsy medication which skews my perception. I don't realise it though, until someone points out that they don't understand what I'm trying to say. Sorry.