View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM

I live in eastern Idaho, and it can get shockingly dry here. I've seen it at -25F and car windows still not starting to frost over. I have the benefit of a well sealed house with four people living in it, and the humidity stays around 45% in the winter so I just hang them up. You can get a DYI installed whole house bypass humidifier at Home Depot starting at about $200 depending on the size you need. I looked at the directions online and they appear well within the skill level of a homeowner on the handier side. Looked about as hard as an icemaker in the freezer. Other options that work here are to close off a small room with a humidifier or even take over a large closet for all the guitars. I am really intrigued by the water bead idea that someone mentioned, I may have to try that in a basement room and see how it works. For us desert dwellers, keeping the indoor humidity up makes a world of difference in how you feel. Too dry and you get the random nosebleeds and cracked skin, and are more susceptible to sinus infections and the like. One lady I worked with keeps a crock pot full of water in the living room and turns it on when the house needs more moisture.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird