View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 PM

I have some experience with these guitars, but sadly not with the item you have in hand. The bottom line is that Ward's sourced guitars from a wide range of makers, and offered instruments in a wide range of spec extending from toy clunkers to very playable pieces. Unfortunately, even within a particular model, the quality can range ridiculously. I have a "Carson Robison" made by Gibson for Ward's, and it's ladder-braced. This particular model, like almost everything Ward's sold, ranges from junk to wonderful. I never in a million years would have sought one out, but encountered a guy who was selling his collection, and when I picked it up to try it I almost wet my pants it was so wonderfully sounding and physically just excellent to play. I never expected that! Mine is beat to hell because, obviously, it was played every day of its 80 years of life! On the other hand, you can find examples of the same model that are virtual junk. Yours is definitely worth giving a really good assessment, and some research, before you decide how to proceed. Some people get those things rebraced if the original bracing is poor; the old finish can be revived without a refin if you want. Pictures can't really help much. Good luck! A good old top that has been aged for two lifetimes can sometimes sound, today, with a tonal beauty not present when it was built!