View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
What do you guys think of all this 21st Century gluten phobia going down all around us? Is gluten REALLY all the food allergy problem that it’s ginned up to be or is this some kind of bull crap to gouge the consumer into paying more for “gluten free” products? And man those products are WAY more expensive than stuff with gluten in it. Maybe it is legit, I don’t know, but it sure seems to send my red flags a flyin’.
The gluten-free hype is the worst bit of marketing junk I have seen in decades. They did some studies on this with 500 people assigned to each group. One group was told they were getting gluten free bread, but it was loaded with gluten. They said it was wonderful bread and the loved it.

Then they took a second group and gave the real gluten free bread but said it was high gluten. That group gasped and flummoxed and had symptoms like headaches and so forth.

The point being, that its all nonsense. Unless you have celiac disease, which almost no one has.

Its insane what you pay for gluten free. One local baker sells 6 butter tarts for $15 because they are....wait for it..."gluten free".

Sigh.