View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful work Max, I really hope to be able to try out one of your builds next time I get to visit EU. Karlijn would love to as well, I'm sure.

I was pleased to see conversation revolving around the "standard" nut width...as you might know I typically demo batches of guitars for Cedar Rock Studio Guitar Gallery once every couple months so there is this funny ritual I have to do before each trip which is practice on my roommate's 1.75" nut and 2.25" bridge guitars so my hands get used to it again and I'm not making a fool of myself recording 10-20 guitars that mostly have those specs, if not thinner. My personal favorite so far has been 1.78" nut with 2.31" spacing, (1.81" nut is great too, if the neck profile isn't too shallow).

I have had some luthier's scratch their heads when I make these requests, but it's such a perceptible difference and really just feels more relaxed and clean when recording or composing. I honestly really dislike playing 1.75" and 2.25" guitars now, and would never buy one even if it sounded like the best guitar I've ever heard and everything else was perfect. To my way of thinking, the hand's needs should always have priority over what the ears and eyes desire.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com