View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
My favorite is 1-13/16" (1.81") because it allows for a string spacing of 1-9/16" with plenty of room outside the outer strings. Anything narrower and I experience exactly what you described: not the cleanest playing experience.

I also prefer a moderately chunky neck profile (21-23mm thickness behind the first fret--including the fingerboard) because if the neck is too narrow my hand will cramp after playing for a while. Some of these acoustics that are now built with hyper skinny, "fast", electric guitar style neck's just don't work for me. I can't maintain a good arch form in my left hand.

And at the saddle I like 2-5/16" or 2-3/8" spacing. All of this stems from a fingerstyle approach, of course. If I were flatpicking, I'd want a narrower saddle spacing (though probably still the same nut width and profile).

I know 1.75" and 2.25" have become the spec guitar standard, especially at Dream Guitars and TNAG, but I don't see why. For me at least, that's a comprise that is neither ideal for fingerstyle or plectrum techniques. Maybe most players just have smaller hands than me? But then, all of the older Martins were built with wider necks; historically speaking, it seems like the whole 1-11/16" was a temporary trend and the recent Martin switchback to 1-3/4" as standard (something already present in bespoke builds) is a move back toward the wider necks of the early and mid 20th century.
I don't understand it too. Neither is my hand very large nor my fingers super big so it would really interest me how other people can play clean with narrow necks. What's funny though is that when I play with my blues band I play a mid 60's Gibson ES125 with a super narrow neck and don't have those issues.
Also I can totally get that a 48mm nut feels uncomfortable when you want to play with the thumb over on the bass strings.

As to the thickness I found that 21mm at the first fret and 23mm at the 12th work best for most people. No matter how wide the neck is.

It would be really interesting to hear other people's thoughts about that, so please feel free to chime in.