Thread: String Rattle
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Because you said you had the new strings put on, rather than putting them on yourself, I'm guessing you are not technically inclined when it comes to guitars. No shame in that, not everyone wants to tinker. But it does mean you're unlikely to be able to diagnose the problem on your own. Take it to a luthier, show him (or her) the problem, and get the guitar professionally set up?

The truss rod is not for adjusting action. You adjust action at the nut and saddle. The truss rod is for adjusting neck relief. Action can change as a side effect of a relief adjustment, but you don't change the relief just for its effect on the action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
OP needs to ask himself if he wants to start down the rabbit hole of guitar actions and setups. No shame in preferring to simply play the guitar rather than working on it.

If he wants to get into it, I suggest he read the Charles Tauber white paper on guitar setups:

http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Res...May%202015.pdf

Else, he should have a good guitar tech setup his guitar.
I’m with both of these guys. I suspect that whoever changed strings for the OP put a lighter-gauge set on than the set that was taken off, and a TR tweak might well be the answer to correct neck-relief which changed as a result.

BUT, reading the OP’s post, I’m guessing that he is inexperienced in guitar set-up or tweaking, and that taking the guitar to a decent luthier/tech could save problems in the long run.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)