View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I had always been skeptical about the so called Amp in a Box pedals. But in this video the way he described stacks of transistors gaining on top of each other like gain stages in an amp makes sense. I wonder if that is a feature of all the amp in a box type pedals.

I mean, in the end of course it doesn't sound like a Plexi, but it kind of sort of goes in that direction.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but my two current go to overdrives, which couldn't be more different from each other, are both of the transistor types, which of course, I had no clue about before this video. A Keeley Super Phat Mod (handbuilt Keeley clone of the Boss Blues Driver with his mods made to it), and the JHS Twin Twelve.

Strangely enough my "Non-Tube, super portable, take it to the Jam" amp works the same way as these pedals. A Roland Blues Cube Boss Drive Special. It's supposedly a JTM45 in a "much larger box" It's not a modelling amp. It replicates the stages and interactions of tube amp components with circuitry.

So, it's either a coincidence, or this style of engineering really works for me.