View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi L20A,

Although I met Hugh Moffatt in Nashville, it wasn't until I heard him play a few solo gigs in New England (supporting a Rounder Records album release) that I truly appreciated his particular genius. He combines words and music in a very complimentary and evocative way. The whole is much greater than the sum of its parts, and he makes it seem deceptively easy and simple all the while.

Hugh has a high school jazz band background. I think that possibly informs the subtle sophistication in his playing which I was unaware of until I heard him solo. In any event, its nice to bump into another Hugh Moffatt fan on the AGF.

Its interesting to note that Hugh went to the same high school in Texas, around the same time, as the late, great Stephen Bruton (another impressive songwriter who was also a record producer and a Kris Kristopherson bandmate/pal). I find that to be quite the coincidence.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments. I try my best to provide a performance which is worthy of the song.

Gary