View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 04:11 PM

I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon, started taking private art lessons at age 7 (my mom had to beg the bluebonnet-painting teacher to take on a child that young) and kept on through my mid-teens, couple of high school art classes, worked as a staff artist for the Baylor Student Union art department in 1968-69 while taking art classes (typography, painting, design, etc.) as a freshman, transferred to UT Austin in fall 1969 and graduated in 1972 with a BFA in Studio Art, emphasis in graphic art and illustration, freelanced as an illustrator/art director in Austin until mid 1975, got hired by a San Antonio design studio as an art director. There, however, the studio was in need of self promotion, so I wrote and illustrated a series of ads that got me a job offer at the hottest concept-oriented ad agency in south Texas. The catch: they wanted to hire me as a copywriter. I negotiated a compromise: I'd wear two hats, as art director AND copywriter. They agreed. After my first year or so there, however, it became obvious that there were equally good designers on staff, but no one with my penchant for headlines, copy and wordplay, so I went full bore copywriter around 1977 and never really looked back.

Well, that's not QUITE true. I held onto two giant boxes of assorted art supplies (some dating back to the 1950s), a professional easel, drawing board, t-squares and other accoutrement in hopes that I'd go back to drawing and painting upon retirement. I've been retired for six months and so far the urge hasn't struck. And about 95% of my paintings and other old work (save for a half dozen sketchbooks from "back when") were sold or given away years ago. We'll see if all that stuff out in the garage survives the next move my wife and I make. I ain't holding my breath. If I decide to hold a giant online garage sale, I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,

Dirk