View Single Post
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Interesting question. I'm not sure they will come down in price any time soon. Sadly, for my wallet.

I bought my first carbon fiber guitar in 2003...a new CA Legacy AE, for $1299. I boguht my second CA Legacy AE in 2006 for I think $1599 new. Today, a Legacy AE runs $2599.

I don't have the insight of a manufacturer, but I don't think it's just the cost of material, but also market demand. I can think of only five CF acoustic manufacturers...and of the four "main ones," two I'd call small builders, and only one of them entered the market in the past 10 years. Compare that with the ocean of wooden guitar manufacturers across the globe. CF is still not mainstream. It's gained a lot of acceptance in the past decade, but comparatively, I think it's a still-growing niche that requires smaller builders and higher prices in order to keep them in business.

CA has a huge backer with Peavey, and even they're not making carbon fiber any more mainstream (or cheaper). I think the manufacturing for CF is less automated than large wood guitar manufacturers, too. But I think it's mainly about the market and staying in business.