View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post

Beautiful rosette, Mark! All of the elements are perfect...
Thanks Nemoman,

I really like that spalted Tamarind which is obvious by how often I use it.
When I opened for the art tour a couple weeks ago I met a local fella that spins pens. He says he has been working on his own fungus cultures and is spalting his own woods. Apparently there are certain fungi that produce reds and oranges etc. I'll be spending more time with my neighbor!

Here is the back glued on:

This is the box closed by gluing on the top:

And the laminates being glued to the back of the headstock. I went with burled walnut over a line of maple:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
I have been very curious about the inlays, seeing as how our discussion during the summer was very "open ended" shall we say.

Can't wait to see your latest inspiration.
Well since you asked, you wanted a "Tree of Life" theme. Since we've been working all natural woods so far I thought I'd stay away from shell and do marquetry. I found a very accommodating figure in my Tamarind stash and have been working it from there:

The black paper trunk will be a dark brown African Blackwood or BRW. The truss rod cover will be a spalted Tamarind? or something. The tuner keys will be the black and white ebony which matches the Tamarind and will do well to frame the whole composition of the headstock. I like how the contrast between the tree and the top headstock laminate is more about the texture and direction of the figure than color.

Better tell me to stop if you don't like it cause I'm going for it tomorrow!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 10-28-2015 at 01:14 PM.