Thread: Journey OC660M
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 03:40 AM

No Journey nylon here, just the steel string. Though I'm seriously contemplating a nylon Journey as well--so I pay attention--and occasionally seek out the latest youtube reviews or players who record both unplugged and plugged in. I've noticed prices have continued to increase and I expect that will continue for all guitar makers.

You have a strong need for natural projection. Although the Journey tone is very good, consistently you will hear it cannot compete unplugged with a standard nylon string for natural sound volume.

But with a lower bout of 12.5 inches . . . vs. normal classical range of 14-16 inches . . . no amount of hope will ever allow it to sound the same. A Journey with a 16 inch bout? Maybe would/could sound closer--but it's design purpose was "overhead". It would become an entirely different product with a 16 inch bout.

The other advantages that come with the Journey--carbon and ergonomics and portability--plus having good tone--are enough to satisfy me and my current needs.

I've searched for and listened to several players playing the nylon plugged-in and it sounds amazing. Journey states that their pickup system is also upgradeable ("under-bridge passive 4-piezo transducer upgradeable pickup system").

Not sure what that means exactly, but I recall one player mentioning his nylon Journey had the SBTs and an internal mic as well. Did it come like that from Journey by request, or did he add it himself? Regardless, the amplified sound was great.

Final note: Remember, a Journey Nylon is full scale, not short scale. An issue for some, but not for others. I'd be happy with it.