View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM

This might sound odd, but...

think about how you learned to communicate.

Think of the many different aspects of language: sound, tone, phrasing, dynamics, when to speak, when not to speak, vocabulary, letters, words, sentences, paragraphs, stories etc...then there was body language, facial expressions etc. etc.

How did you learn each of those?

Think about being in conversation with others. Compare this with 'jamming'. The way your mouth acts as the 'mouthpiece' for the ideas that form spontaneously in your mind, how your lips move and change shape to push out the air generated down inside into coherent, recognisable, and meaningful sounds (observe this process next time your engaged in any kind of conversation).

Again, think about how you learned the many aspects of language that enabled you to communicate effectively. Sometimes you studied theory (at school, likely reluctantly, but most likely because it's just what you had to do?). Sometimes you read books, starting with extremely basic stuff and slowly progressing. You practiced how to hold a pen/pencil and/or use a keyboard (technique). And there were no time frames, because you were young - and you might not be so young now but that's no excuse not to learn new tricks (I've seen so many people spend a lifetime exploring shortcuts that lead to nowhere when that time would have been so much better spent with a healthy sense of humility, humour and perspective).

Thinking again about how you learned to communicate - mostly you listened and copied (especially those who made an impression on you, for better or for worse!), making lots of mistakes in the beginning but because you hadn't been 'domesticated' at this time in your life you just got on with it regardless, with the frustrations, the up and downs, but, despite the setbacks, you probably didn't take it too seriously, shrugged off the (necessary) 'mistakes' and just kept going. (My parents made tape recordings of me when I was younger and it's really funny hearing my early attempts at 'communicating' now!)

Essentially, you learning to talk/communicate would have been an holistic and balanced process, involving, as mentioned: theory, technique, practice, observation, copying, jamming...and lots of unselfconcious 'mistakes'.

And I'm sorry if this ended up coming across as patronising as my intention is purely to help, but how about transferring all the learning skills and experience you already possess from learning the above into playing/soloing on guitar?