View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 10:13 PM

Quote:
....replace the stock cones on your Republic with Beard cones. It is a fairly easy upgrade. https://www.resophonicoutfitters.com/product/BC-3.html

Cone replacement with a Beard cone is probably the best sonic upgrade for any inexpensive resonator guitar.
+1 here.

There are basically two schools of spider resophonic construction: traditional (sound well - think Dobro), and modern (open architecture - think Scheerhorn or maybe Rayco).

Regardless of price, either will meet their maximum potential with a high quality cone (Quarterman, Beard, etc).

More important, some can be hugely improved by setting up the spider correctly. If your spider legs get out of flat-plane, your zillion dollar reso will sound awful. Conversely, if your spider legs are put back in-plane and you have good saddles and a good cone, your low-dollar reso may surprise a whole bunch of players.

On my resos, I also dress the legs of the spider, and I dress the contact surface of the cone shelf absolutely flat. These are simple operations. They take some time, and some folks think I'm nuts, but to me it's worth it.