View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmHulme View Post
Of course the all guitars have a sweet spot for the best strings. My point was that many archtops have pickups and correspondingly electric strings. These are often great guitars, but if unplugged just don’t sound that great acoustic with the electric strings. The problem is the pickups don’t work with PB strings. Monel strings , I’ve read, can work a pickup though I haven’t tried this. I believe it’s what the CC era played. Monel strings do sound good acoustic.
You could very well be correct about all guitars having a sweet spot for the best strings. Certainly there are a number of folks in these forums who have long been on the quest to find the perfect strings for the guitars they currently own. Then, when those guitars are moved on and new guitars acquired, the search starts all over again.

I have never been into that for some reason. On acoustic guitars, I have long used D'Addario EJ-16, but then more recent Taylor guitars I have purchase, shipped with coated strings, so I continue to use those same strings as replacements on those guitars. The only Taylor I kept is the 912ce. I use the same strings it shipped with, Elixir HD Lights. On my Huss and Dalton and McPherson carbon fiber guitars, I use D'Addario EJ-16.

I only know that on my Citation, it has uncoated light gauge strings, but I don't know the brand. When I change strings, I plan to use NYXL light gauge and I am sure they will be fine. hat is what I have, so that is what I will use unless they sound terrible, which I doubt/hope not.

For all my guitars, it is entirely possible that there are strings that are perfect for each, and also very possible that what I am using are not that. However, I just can't seem to get into that whole search for the perfect string as long as my guitars sound good to me.

Now that I have the Citation, there really isn't anywhere else to go to get something better (or if there is, I can't imagine the difference being so great to warrant switching to that instrument - when is a good thing good enough), so I can relax and just enjoy playing it, rather than constantly being "on the hunt". I started another thread listing the books I have collected to focus on, as hopefully being useful to anybody else wanting to focus on playing too. It is a solid plan, with absolutely no dependency on the internet, which is very much like shifting sands, always changing and always some shiny new thing to distract me. For me, anyway, it can be difficult to maintain long term focus on anything involving sites on the internet - too many distractions.

So I have the strings I intend to use, and the materials containing what I want to master, and it is a matter of taking each day as it comes, making progress without distraction.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...