View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM

I may have inflicted sounds that could be described as "garage rock" at times, but I've never kept an electric guitar in an unheated garage. Given my northern US climate (110 F. to -25 F -- and very humid to very dry humidity) I'd consider that risky. On the other hand, I have kept things in outbuildings with hardwood handles and painted metal objects and they've lived through the same extremes.*

On the other hand, I've kept a range of electrics out on hangers HVAC covered living spaces for decades. I've seen a couple of cases of fret sprout, and that's about it. My studio space has a wider range of temp/humidity differences as it's not living space. Most guitars in cases there, but several also kept ready to grab.

So, to the OP: does this garage have any HVAC elements at all? What are the extremes of temp and humidity in your climate if it's just a covered space with no HVAC elements?

I know there's a spread of opinions about the utility of having a guitar ready to grab vs. "it only takes a couple of minutes to pull out a case and take the guitar out of that." I'm obviously in the "see guitar, grab guitar, play guitar" side of that. Because of that inclination, the risk to an inexpensive electric guitar wouldn't stop me if I thought I'd play the hanging guitar more.

*Hammers don't have frets. My axe must be a vintage model, it doesn't have a truss rod. My metal objects likely aren't painted with nitro-based paints.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....