View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Default Help with lesson book

Hello Everyone,

I've recently gotten back into playing, and I took enough time off to comeback and try to do this again the right way. What I mean by the right way is somewhat structured practice and learn theory and how to read music. I used to try and read some books and got bored or confused and just would hack on the guitar. Well now this is the day of the internet, and I have people to turn to when I'm confused and frustrated(that's you guys).

So I dug out my 1976 edition of Mel Bay's Guitar Class, and now I remember why I got frustrated before. The very first lesson is stumping me, it starts out with learning a G cord and D7 and teaches the time signatures. The next thing is the song Skip to my Lou. I'm not sure what the book wants me to do with the guitar! I think it want's me to keep the 4/4 tempo and sing to the famous melody of Skip to my Lou? The directions are not clear now and they were not then! Maybe I should burn this book and find another beginners book!?!?!?

I have picked a new book, Music Reading for Guitar the Complete Method by David Oakes. I'm not very far in but so far I like it. I have learned a bit with just the first few pages.

Also from my past I have a Classical Guitar Method book, which I like now that I'm not afraid of trying to read the music as I was in my past. I think my new books has help there.

below are some pictures from the Mel Bay book. I should mention I'm not thrilled about trying to sing and play, I can't even tap my foot to a 4/4 count and strum 1/8 beats. I lack that coordination and can't imagine throwing singing in there.

Thanks.

Untitled by James Salinas, on Flickr
Untitled by James Salinas, on Flickr