View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
All,

I am interested in getting a nice condenser mic. What I want is a warm, crisp, accurate, and versatile condenser mic. I am not sure going so far as to get a tube mic (like a Rode K2) is in the cards, however.

The mic would primarily be used for speaking (video/podcast/web calls, ham radio) but also recording of acoustic guitar from time to time. I'd rather have the performance tip towards that of recording acoustic guitar as that is more important to "get right". I'm sure I would be more than happy with the performance when used for speaking.

Mics I've looked at are:
Rode NT55
Rode NT5
Rode NT2-A
Rode NTK
Rode NT1000
Various Shure KSM's
Various Shure SM's

My thoughts from a while back are to stick to a small diaphragm mic. The NT55 seems more versatile than any of the others in that range.

As far as other factors to consider - the room dynamics and other stuff in the audio chain - at this point I do not have a proper "studio" so room acoustics are terrible. I have an older Behringer 10ch mixer with phantom power that I intend to use most. I also have a Scarlett 6i6 GenII USB recording interface. Both that and the mixer have phantom power, not sure what I will use primarily but I have had the Scarlett set up as my "sound card" for another purpose besides music/mic use.

What are your thoughts?
That as long as you say "I do not have a proper "studio" so room acoustics are terrible." buying a new mic is not where you should be spending your cash. Spend the money on acoustic treatment, it will make far more difference to your recordings than an expensive mic.

Then, if you don't have a reasonable mike at all the consider a Neat Worker Bee [URL="Neat Worker Bee"]https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neat-king-bee-worker-bee[/URL
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB