View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigjtmp View Post
(I am also trying to get extra scratch by monetizing my YouTube videos) : )
I HATE having to sit through some number of seconds of unrelated advertisement before I can click to dismiss it and get to the content I am there to see. (In some cases, where you can't dismiss the ad before it completes, I close it and never look at the content I came for.) For that reason, I have sworn never to subject others to that in the videos I create and put on Youtube. But, that's just me and my preference.

An alternative is to request donations (PayPal or otherwise) for those who feel the content is of merit. Consider it "pay for performance". Another alternative is to make the content available for purchase on DVD or by download. It's a means for those who feel the content is of value to show their appreciation.

The other question is the "business model" you want. Is the video content the product or is it the advertisement for the product? Is your (or Jay's) intention to make money in selling information (i.e. instructional videos) or to make money by offering setup and repair services - or even both? (Teaching others how to do something is often different than just doing the thing.) If repair services, the video is the advertisement for those services. In that case, perhaps it is "smart" to make money on the advertisement by being paid for having unrelated advertisements. But, unless you have real gold to offer, chances are iffy that I'll make it to your content. Again, that's just me. With a zillion potential viewers, perhaps you can afford to lose some. You have a LOT of competition out there, much of which is free and without ads. What'll drive people to your offerings?

Last edited by charles Tauber; 08-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.