View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
A FetHead works well with my old Zoom H4n which has noisy preamps when cranked up for a dynamic mic when used without. A Cloudlifter would work OK as well for a bit more money. The H4n does have combo jacks with Hi-Z 1/4" and does the job as an interface as I mentioned in a previous post. The newer H4n Pro supposedly has better, quieter input preamps.

My H6 has the same improved preamps as the H4N, and they are still pretty noisy if you have to turn them up past about 6 o’clock. The gain is there, it just gets noisy at the higher numbers. The MixerFace R4 preamps don’t have as much overall gain as the H6 preamps (about 55db of gain on the MixerFace), but it is pretty quiet all the way up. Cranked, the hiss is audible, but just barely. Not like the H6 where it is easily noticeable.

The MixerFace R4 is more expensive initially, but then you don’t need to buy two external gain boosters, which brings the price closer.

Feature-wise, of course the Zoom recorders are better, but the MixerFace has more outputs. The MixerFace has headphone, unbalanced 1/8” line out, plus two balanced 1/8” TRS outs for connecting directly to studio monitors.

I’m going to keep the H6 for cases where I need to record multiple inputs: like if I am recording with another musician and/or singer. But for my usual recording of just me playing guitar and singing, I prefer the MixerFace.