View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi Frank, thank you for trying to assist me - and I suffered that certificate error and also lost a long answer here to try to help someone else.

If you, or anyone else has the patience to persist wih this, i'll explain what I'd like to do.

This is primarily for making my amateurish videos on YouTube.

I sing, and play acoustic guitar, but I also play mandolin , dobro and bass guitar.

Simplistically, I would like to lay down a guitar backing track - in order to play it back and video myself playing dobro/mando over it.

Foolishly I though that the guy in the video that I showed was getting the sound out of his looper and now realise that he is playing the backing tracks through an amp/p.a.

All this would need to be done in my small conservatory (about 12 x 8). I do have a bose l-1 but even that would use up a ot of room.

apart from the bass (optional) I would want to use my condenser mic(s) so I would need a phantom power source (my mixer) as well as a recording system. Already this is starting to get very crowded.

I used to have a Yamaha AW1600 on which I recorded one album doing exactly what I'm planning now, but it was very labour intensive and the album only happened as I was housebound for three weeks recovering from a foot operation.
I have just realised that I still have my Alesis monitor speakers.

I only have my desktop in my office upstairs or an old Mac that for various reasons I cannot get to upload any apps - so software DAW is not possible.

The idea is to play pre-recorded backing tracks whilst playing mando/dobro on video. Again, I have no skills to edit videos so it's a matter of switching on the video, taking my seat, switching on whatever tech, then paying. etc.

Pretty primitive I guess.