View Single Post
Old 09-21-2020, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Very nice sound, especially on the first recording. Seems like a great option for budget mics. Compared to something like Schoeps, they have a lot more self-noise (according to the specs), but pretty much in line with other budget mics, including the AT2020s, and I don't think that's an issue here.

BTW, the Ozone EQ match thing always seems to want to dramatically boost the high end for me as well. Same with the "auto mastering" option. It seems to me that it's somehow not tuned well for acoustic guitar. I try those now and then, and the first thing I always do is pull those highs back down. It should be a useful tool for at least diagnostics, to see what's different between tracks, but in practice it doesn't seem to work as well as I'd expect. I prefer using Har-Bal when I want to compare the EQ characteristics of 2 tracks. You can do EQ in Har-Bal as well, but I never do, I use it as a learning/diagnostic tool - and just a validation that my EQ balance is at least roughly in line with my references. It seems more accurate for whatever reason, and doesn't try to make me add 10db to the highs on every track!
You have mentioned this tendency with Ozone before - it certainly seems to be the case, and as such I will be very wary of it in EQ terms going forward.

You mention self noise - at 16db is this considered high? I think Schoeps / Neuman tend to be around 13db - is that correct?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig