View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfden1 View Post
Regarding the OP, I think the issue is not so much that 50% RH isn't good for all woods so much as it has to do with the conditions under which the woods were stored and then made into a guitar.

For instance, guitars made in Vietnam are often made of woods that were stored using no humidity control at all, and then built into a guitar also using no humidity control.
Couldn't agree with you more! In my OP, I mentioned I don't know the temp and RH of which this guitar was built in. So if it was built in a high RH like 75% in Asia, then like you said, the wood would have normalized to this humidity before when it was constructed. Taking this guitar to an RH of 50% would cause the wood to shrink...hence an instance for which 50% RH is no bueno.

I've had the guitar in my living room at 75% RH since posting this thread and it has leveled out, but not completely. I wonder how long it will take for the wood to return to its original state, we'll see. But having a guitar that can be kept in an RH above 70% is a huge convenience here in Guam.