View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

I find Byudzai's review and your observations really interesting confirmation. I had a 1968 Martin D28 for about 25 years - not an HD28, but a D28 from the Brazillian rosewood era. I sold that guitar about 15 years ago - I just wasn't playing anymore and it was worth a good bit. I remember the sound of that guitar as well as I could ever remember the sound of something I haven't played or heard in 15+ years.

I had since owned a relatively low end Taylor Grand Auditorium and a Martin 000-15M and liked them both but neither reminded me in the least of that old D28. But when I got an X20 a few months ago, I was immediately struck by how much it reminded me of the sound of that D28. Not an exact match, but a striking similarity. And given how old my memory of the Martin was, MAYBE an exact match - I couldn't say for sure. But it absolutely stirred memories of that incredible guitar.

But I didn't really trust this reaction! It had been so long since I'd had the D28, I figured I might just be me rationalizing / justifying having bought the X20. Did it REALLY sound much like that D28, or did I just want to believe it did?

Well, reading and hearing both of your observations, it confirms that I wasn't off-base. You're getting more into the subtle differences, but the differences wouldn't be so subtle if there wasn't a strong underlying similarity. Which is certainly the most that I'd ever be able to come up with based on a 15 year old memory rather than a direct A-B comparison. In any case, interesting stuff and a nice confirmation that I WASN'T just BS'ing myself.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 12-02-2018 at 02:31 PM.