View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mr B…
I agree fully.

The major scale is the foundation of Western music.

I teach students the major scale first in open position in all 5 guitar keys:
(C-A-G-E-D)

...and then they migrate to the across the neck in patterns versions of the major scale. Then I move them to minor scales, and pentatonic are the last one I expose them to.

I find that students who learn pentatonic scales first hit a creative barrier when playing lead parts and are reluctant to learn their major and minor scales.

All theory radiates outward from the major scales (chord design, melody, harmony etc).

Remember, pentatonic scales are missing half steps.

+1. I do agree with this fully. I find I always come back to pentatonics when hitting random improv because I'm so comfortable with them, but when i write and record I use modes a lot more. This isn't good, because they do cause me to not solo above my knowledge. So, +1 on the creative problem!

The one problem I have with the major scale is it's rather impractical to just jam. It is a very "boring" sounding scale and one that is very hard to use in a random improv. It can be used, I know, but it's a lot harder than a basic pentatonic.

I know very little about country music, so, disregard my advice if it doesn't apply to country music!