View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 07:45 AM

you need to get in a quieter room. although good results can be gotten with dynamic mics (on an acoustic guitar), you are way better off with a condenser. and you could get a cheaper one to start, so as to develop your mic technique/engineering chops.

but yes, any extraneous noise will be easily picked up by any condenser.

i have a c-414, and love it for guitar. i also mate it with a c-214 (one pattern condenser, with the same capsule as the c-414). i use them in a mid-side configuration.

you can get one of those cheaper chinese small diaphragm condensers, to try first. but you really need to get your recording environment quieter.

one of the nicer features of the c-414 is how ridiculously minimal their noise floor is. it's practically non-existent.

look around on craigslist. i found my c-414 for less than half of what they go for new, and it is in mint condition. or see if there are any good gear stores in your area that might let you rent one (or any other mic) first. and regardless of which mic you use, you'll soon learn that eqing is a vital skill in getting a great sounding track on acoustic. there's no one spot (or nearly impossible) you can aim a mic at, where you still won't need to do some eqing of the signal. even when setting my c-414 to the 160 hpf, i still need to get some lows and low mids out of the mixed track.

Last edited by dmoss74; 04-16-2016 at 08:08 AM.