View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A house-hold that's been out of power for a couple days, really doesn't care where the electricity is going to come from
Exactly. And in this country, unless a disaster struck, shouldn't be without power at all.

Over a decade ago, Germany instituted the "Energiewende". A bold plan to completely move away from fossil fuels, eliminate nuclear power and make renewables the predominant energy source by 2022.
Germany in 2021:
They won't make that goal and have to modify the target dates. Coal, Gas and nuclear still account for the largest energy sources. Renewables make up roughly 45%, which isn't bad considering all the infrastructure hurdles they've had to overcome and still do. That's why moving away from coal in the short run will mean larger dependence on natural gas rather than renewables.
What's my point?
I guess I'm holding them up as an example of a large and important economy that is trying to do the right thing, and is on path to do so, but is smart enough to be flexible and not jeopardize its welfare by imposing unrealistic and technologically unfeasible goals and regulations simply for ideological reasons.
That's what I hope for us here too going forward.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann