View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

If you want someone to add virtual instruments, that person will be a producer or musician. It isn't in an engineer's job description to perform, and what you are wanting is performance. What you are asking for is that someone perform on a "buyout" or "work-for-hire" basis, meaning that they play for you for a fixed amount and receive no royalties.

Now, there are musicians who will serve as a recording engineer on your album.

How do I know this? When I produce for my company I serve as producer, engineer, and session musician, on a "work-for-hire" basis. I perform whatever it takes, from synthesizers to guitars. Why do I do it? The company has hired me as a recording engineer/sound designer and has employed me as a professional for years, with pay and benefits. In order to have the clearest ethical lines with no conflict of interest, I simply forego royalties or contractor pay when working with my company and accept my regular compensation.

What you need to do is find a musician who is willing to help you on this project for whom you can offer some pay and/or value-in-kind, from their first recording experience to a published credit to several copies of his or her work to be able to share with family or on his or her resume' or possibly a nice gift of some kind. Don't put yourself in a position of taking creative work from a person without an agreement on the type of compensation and with the same level of comfort for both parties. It leaves a good taste in everyone's mouth and protects you from future conflict. Amy Grant's father had a saying: "A good deal is only a good deal if it is a good deal for everyone involved." Make 'em smile.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)