View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Show Spec guitars

While my first of four show spec guitars is at the finisher I have dug in on the second which is my Greta grand auditorium model. This guitar has a Western Red Cedar soundboard with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. I am making each of these four specs feature rich so they can represent a good sampling of what I offer. This guitar is also a cut away with my beveled strap arrangement which I now offer standard with cut aways.

I'm keeping this guitar very organic by using some new materials presented in a very natural state. I'm introducing interesting colors and textures so although there isn't any traditional "bling" there is a lot going on.

Here is a picture of where I am on the headstock:

The top laminate is Red Oak Burl (courtesy of my firewood pile) with a lot of rough live edge. The truss rod cover is fashioned from wooly mammoth tusk bark. I'll be using this throughout this build. I love the mottled colors and textures this ancient material offers!

I'm going with a business size sound port and am leaving the sapwood in on the sides.

I love the look of the sapwood on the cut away. There will be Black Ebony binding going in this week. You can see the block of Black Ebony that is glued into the heel block. This is where I will cut in the bevel when I can line it up with the set neck heel.

You can also see more of the Oak Burl used in the rosette

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright