View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast Doug, a very interesting conversation. I don't play in situations where I have to plug-in guitar at present. I mic' my guitars at the local open mic and generally play/sing with no p/a at all for the odd local concerts/events etc.

I used to play in a 5 piece bluegrass band, and we would always single mic' - no matter the venue. The "monitor" was standing closer together if the barroom was noisy. And the "balance" was by moving in our out of the mic's field. I can set-up a p/a and e/q the room (for the single mic') but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. The most technical bit of kit I used to handle was an old set of velvet drapes that I could hang behind the band to stop the room noise bouncing off the wall behind us and feeding back into the mic'.

I think that if I did feel that I wanted to plug in then I'd be tempted to buy a mag soundhole p/u and fit it onto a dirt cheap small bodied guitar going into a small amp. Once I'd got the timbre I wanted I would then just mic' the cabinet and run that to the p/a if I needed to be louder. I think that is most likely to be the set-up that would suit me. But I don't really need to go there yet as I'm pretty comfortable with nothing at all, or just a mic'.

Your podcast has certainly got me thinking over stuff though.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.