View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 09:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Pocket Full of Rocks

I've been working away testing new candidate gemstones to use as inlay material. I've already posted my first blue Lapus Lazuli rosette and fretboard on the guitar currently in the finish process. The Lapus Lazuli has a great ultramarine blue color:

The ideal stone offers colors you don't find naturally in wood and it is soft enough to work without having to set up a separate lapidary shop.

Chrysocolla has a variety of nice blues and will be fun to be able to vary the shading with it:

A more traditional stone (or at least stone color) used with guitars is Turquoise, both blue and green:

I've looked long and hard to find a good workable red. Red Coral has a great color and is easily workable but like Brazilian Rosewood it is heavily cites regulated. Since I'm just starting out with stonework I figured I should find something else so I don't get spoiled by it (like I am with BRW).

I landed on Red Jasper which has a wonderful earthy red color:

I am working out the best abrasives and techniques while my mind is swimming with new ideas and possibilities. Just the way I like it!

m

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright