View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 10:07 PM

Talking Incoming Wilborn Comma Nautilus

Sorry if my thread is a bit long, but I'm really excited to start this journey for my first ever custom acoustic guitar with Ben Wilborn and I want to share this joy with you!

As soon as I learned about Wilborn Guitars I was really fascinated by them, but after trying one in person from a dear friend, simply I fell in love.
Then I asked for more feedback on several forums and dozens of positive feedback on someone that is considered one of the best luthiers in the world prompted me to contact Ben, who turned out to be a wonderful person: for him to provide the attention to customer needs, to give suggestions to get a better tone and a better look, come way before the desire to sell an instrument.
From Ben's words emerges enormous passion for his work and after some email (maybe a few too many, since I admit to being a pain in the A), we managed to figure out the specs of the guitar.

Series: Comma - Model: Nautilus
Mahogany neck
Ebony bound neck and headstock
Ebony headplate, fingerboard and bridge
Ebony rear head plate with volute
Ebony bindings
Ziricote inlays
Florentine Cutaway
Multiscale design
Elevated fingerboard
Triple Laminated Sides
Arm Bevel
Schertler "open back" black tuners with ebony knobs
Schaller S-Locks "Blackchrome" strap buttons
Clear mylar pickguard
Visesnut flight case

Add-on: Master grade Adirondack Spruce top
Add-on: Ziricote back and sides (IMVHO it's the most beautiful wood in the world).
Add-on: TUSQ Nut, Saddle, Pins (is scientifically proven to be just way better than bone).
Add-on: Elevated fingerboard (click here to learn more about it)
Add-on: French Polish (a finishing method invented in the 1800s. Many of the best instruments in the world are varnished with this old method. To learn more about it, click here).

I gave Ben free choice for the top board, asking him to choose the Adirondack Spruce board he thinks the best (among all those he owns). He chose this master grade board cut in 2018:

For the back I chose these Ziricote boards:

Unfortunately I will not have the guitar before 2024.
Yes, his waiting list is very long, but the best things are the most awaited ones!
Over the time I will upgrade this thread with some news!

Opinions???

#1 UPDATE - July 2022:
Although a very small update, I want to share it with you.
Wilborn, on my request, made a small figured maple plaque, with an inscription handmade by a calligrapher: "B. Wilborn - invenit et fecit".
It's latin, literally means "invented and made": it's a phrase used by the first art critics of the Middle Ages, it meant the authorship of a work of art).
The plaque will be glued into the body when it will be ready, but the wait is still long.

Hope you like this gem!

Last edited by Pizzanetor; 07-24-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: grammar