View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Dustin, beautiful guitar! I can't wait to hear it.
On another note, very impressive photographs. How did you manage to avoid getting reflections? Especially on the ABW? I have tried to photography my guitars, and what I usually end up with is a "selfie": my face/camera reflected back at me -- especially on a dark wood like ABW.
There's a few of things - first have to get soft lighting from several angles, I have two studio lights that move around constantly depending on the shot, then you have to get rid of anything nearby that's casting harsh light which will appear in reflections, I also usually wear all-black when I shoot guitars to avoid any logos or colors reflecting in the tuners or highlights. I have two room dividers I put black sheets over to surround the guitar, flattening potential reflections on gloss finish. If you own a mirrorless camera you should shoot in raw to recover details later in post production. That's where alot of sharpness and dimension comes back. That's about 75% of the nitty-gritty. The rest is properly exposing on the camera and nailing focus on the desired parts you want to highlight. Sometimes I use a tripod, other times handheld. Most shots are with 35mm or 50mm and some are with Macro lens such as the parts that are less than 12" wide.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk. lol go take some photos!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com