View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 06:44 AM

Default Callus/Callous - observation/question

First things first- spelling mustache vs moustache- the auto spell checker red lined moustache

When I went to school they were spelled one way, now, they're spelled differently

Anyway- observation: Most of y'all have been playing a lot longer than I have.
I've been at it, in earnest, only since April 2020. I have callouses. Pretty substantial ones, as in very visible.

A digression: they have rendered the index, middle and ring finger all but useless for using them for anything other than chording a guitar. I can't hardly button a shirt (I usually wear snaps anyway though ), but, even they have a top button which I try to button when I wash and dry them and put them on hangers.

Back on topic: I watch y'alls videos and it appears, to me, you barely touch the strings when you chord. I try to pinch its head off! I grip the neck tight!
A result?, I think is, I have a creased index finger- not so much a problem as a curiosity.

Question(s): How do you do that? When I don't use as much pressure it just deadens the sound of the string- what am I doing wrong?

It interests me me, particularly for faster chord changes, like when finger picking- (although I just thumb pick [no pick]) I think I'd do better with less pressure applied at the chord fingers.

So, again; how do you do that?

Thanks for any advice.