View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

So, Here's the thing.

I've sprayed a lot of finish in varying reductions without good results. I'd like to say mixed results, but for the most part, they've been bad results. To be honest, I've had better results using lacquer in a rattle can. Then, I had an epiphany! The stuff in a rattle can is probably heavily thinned and perhaps has a lot of retarder. So, I tried a test with a heavily thinned, heavily retarded mix and eureka! - I seemed to get a good result finally. So, that made me wonder what others were doing. That input will allow me to try different things without abject trial and error so that I may one day have more repeatable success.

I was particularly intrigued by Steve's use of a conventional gun for the final coat. Mostly because I have a good conventional gun, but always thought that because HVLP has higher transfer efficiency that it also meant better flow out. So, I've already learned something.

But back to one of my original questions.

Does 50% seem excessively thin?
Is it reasonable to think I'll need more or less double the coats to get enough build to polish, or is it really some different ratio?