Thread: Dead & Co
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Had a great time, didn't get home until 4AM. It takes forever to get in and out of Alpine Valley. It took us a while to find the car in the dark. The venue holds 35,000 and was close to capacity, I'm guessing the crowd at around 30,000.

We didn't feel like fighting the crowd to the food stands during the show, so we hit up a Taco Bell on the way home, around 1AM.

A few random thoughts on the show. The music and sound were fantastic. John Mayer is far and away the best guitarist to play with the various versions of The Dead since Jerry died. Friday night's show was their 100th with this lineup and the unit has really solidified. There is talk of a studio album later this year and I really hope they do it.

I was somewhat surprised and pleased to see a lot of people under 30 last night. These weren't a bunch of kids who showed up in their new tie dyed t-shirts to party and act like fools. I talked to a bunch of them and was quite pleased to meet true fans who knew the music. Many had been to multiple Dead & Co. shows last year and this, those that hadn't have followed the tours via the internet. They were serious students of the Grateful Dead's music and traditions.

To all the curmudgeons and skeptics: This IS The Grateful Dead 2018. The music never stops. The Band plays and the hippies (young and old) dance. If you are a true Deadhead, get out to one of the remaining shows on this tour. You will have fun and hear some great music.

Finally, here is the set list from last night. I'll try to put up some video when I'm more awake.

Set I: The Music Never Stopped > Easy Answers, Alabama Getaway, Big River, Jack Straw, Black Muddy River*, Friend Of The Devil*, Bird Song*

Set II: The Weight, Shakedown Street, Althea, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Drums > Space > All Along The Watchtower > Standing On The Moon > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: One More Saturday Night

* with Justin Vernon

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird