View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Some years ago, one of my Dad's friends asked me if I'd take a look at a guitar he'd had since he was a kid. His parents bought it for him for his 15th birthday.

As he was opening the case, he commented that he'd rather have $500 than an old guitar. When he opened it, their sat a 1963 Fender Jazzmaster, in Burgundy Mist, in absolutely drop dead mint condition. Everything that was in the case was there the day his parents bought it.

Apparently, he tried playing in twice. Both times, he said, his fingertips hurt. After the second attempt he stuck it in his bedroom closet where it stayed for the next 40+ years.

Long story short, I told a friend at Fender about it, and he helped arrange the shipment of the guitar to Corona. Fender inspected the guitar and offered him $18,000 for it. The people there said they'd never seen anything so old that was in such remarkable condition.

So, I could've bought an $18,000 guitar for $500, but that just wouldn't have been right.
Very good of you to do that especially in this day of greed. My hat goes off to you.