View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 AM

Best recording experiences I've had were at Mac-based ProTools studios. If I were to get serious and step up from a MacBook Pro running Garage Band and Logic Express, I wouldn't hesitate to go the dedicated separate Mac-plus-monitor/ProTools/best mixing desk-controller I could afford. Of course, the similarly-equipped studio I know of comes with an engineer who is a genius, knows my style, "gets" what Steve & I do and is not afraid to strongly suggest retakes and punch-ins. That pair of ears, philosophy and experience set is unavailable in stores. But if you've got the engineering chops, I say buy the best Mac/ProTools setup you can possibly spring for.

Oh, and our engineer's wife is a master carpenter and decorator, and she built the best sound baffles I've ever encountered. Room treatments are key--double layer of doors, elimination of as many standing-wave-making parallel surfaces as possible, A/C you can turn off w/o roasting, etc.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.