View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
This subject has been discussed at length in multiple threads here so a search can yield some in depth threads. Unfortunately here as elsewhere there are reasonable offerings as well as some myths and misunderstanding, ambiguous use of terminology and a conflation of "how I think it should be" vs. what are the actual legal statutes and presidents

So agin in brief outline this is my understanding

#1 A copyright is technically created (comes into existence) as soon as an original work is "affixed to any tangible medium".. i.e. = written on paper, recorded to tape, CD,,, or a written or sound recording digital file , etc....

#2 It appears that Publishing to a streaming service (i.e SoundCloud or YouTube etc. ) the modern version of the " The poor mans copyright" of mailing a copy to yourself. Only establishes a time stamp/or reference of when you published it or mailed it . It does not establish a legal claim of ownership. and will be of very limited if any,,, use in a legal proceeding for infringement

#3 Registering with the US Copyright Office establishes a legally recognized claim of ownership and a date for such claim ... And such registration has been a fundamental component of , and president for, most successful infringement recovery

That said what I do personally on my YouTube videos for any of my originals,(registered or not) is to have a title at the start, that states the song is "by" (my name) ,, and I type "All rights reserved" followed by (C) as the keyboard representation of the copyright icon
haha. "all rights reserved, "c". That's a good way to scare off the timid thieves.