View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I would still prefer A tuning for this small scale guitar.

So I used the Stringjoy tension calculator to see if an extra light 10-47 set could work.

Stringjoy's gauges don't quite match the D'Addario or Elixir extra light sets that I would use, but with one notch higher on the 3rd, 5th and 6th strings the total tension comes down to 164 lbs.

For comparison, a 12-53 set with this scale length in standard tuning produces a tension of only 104 lbs.

The question now becomes: Can this guitar take the extra 60 lbs of tension? 164 lbs is really not that much and it should be fine for most steel string guitars.
However, if the Nova Go Mini was made specifically with something around 104 lbs in mind the extra tension could be a problem.

Btw, the Nova Go Mini is now listed on the website. Including the correct scale length : https://www.enya-music.com/collectio...s/nova-go-mini
Well as I mentioned above I tried that very experiment with 10s at A to A tuning, and was concerned at how much the neck bent under the load. If someone figures out a good string set for E or A tuning let us know, but I bet the best results would be using it as a terz in G to G. At any rate you'd still have to sand down the zero fret, and deal with the 8/64" action at the 12th fret, and frankly I just wasn't sure the guitar was worth that much setup effort.